Are You Taking Advantage of Remarketing/Retargeting Opportunities With Your Website?

Remarketing and retargeting are two of the most underused tools in the online marketing world. Generally speaking, only 2% of website traffic converts on the first visit; that leaves 98% that do not. Did that sink in? 98%! Of course, this statistic does have variations based on industry, business model, and design-related first impressions of the website. You have your audience; now it is time to take advantage of potential remarketing and retargeting opportunities with them.

What is retargeting?

Retargeting is a marketing tactic to re-engage potential customers who have visited your website and have yet to convert. Retargeted ads are primarily paid ads presented to potential customers who have visited your website or are in your database. Retargeted customers are three times more likely to click on your ad than people who have not interacted with your website before (SOURCE). There are two main approaches to retargeting:

  • Pixel-Based: Pixel-based retargeting is powered by cookie technology. Pixels are small pieces of code that are embedded in your website. Once visitors visit your website, the code embeds and stores a cookie in their browser. This does not include personal information, and users can allow or block cookies on some websites. If users enable all cookies, future web activity is tracked, and retargeted ads appear across other web properties they visit.
  • List-Based: List-based retargeting is primarily used on social media platforms. These ads are highly personalized and customizable to a specific customer. There are some downfalls with list-based retargeting when it comes to B2B and contact lists, and it does require manually re-uploading contact lists for some businesses. Social media platforms like Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn ads live off retargeting. Even the slightest view of an ad and the user will receive additional ads in their feeds. Occasionally, this can be overkill and works the opposite for the brand, but overall, this type of retargeting is highly successful.

What is remarketing?

Remarketing is similar to retargeting, except it primarily uses email to re-engage past customers or visitors to your website. It is a second chance to convert, retain, or up-sell customers. Have you ever searched (not purchased) a flight on your favorite airline’s mobile app and received an email the next day urging you to buy the ticket? That is a classic example of remarketing.

Remarketing and retargeting are budget-friendly ways to capitalize on your target audience. YCS Marketing is here to help you take advantage of these opportunities for your website and social media channels.

Visit us @