Social Media User Demographics Guide
In the world of social media marketing, not all platforms are created equal. In fact, as marketers we know that each platform has a different purpose and offers us different ways to engage with their audience.
In addition to this, there are different user demographics for each platform. The same people are not on or as active across every social media network that is available. For example, some age groups are more engaged on one platform while some genders are more active on another. Therefore, understanding which platform your target audience exists on is crucial to the success of your campaigns.
With so many user demographics to keep track of, we have created a guide for you to reference the next time you need help finding which platform your target audience is most active on to better optimize your campaigns.
- There are >1.8 billion daily active users.
- Facebook has >2.7 billion monthly active users.
- Daily active users account for 66% of Facebook’s monthly active users.
- The number of American Facebook Messenger users is projected to grow from 126.3 million in 2018 to 138.1 million in 2022.
- The typical user will: like 12 posts, make 5 comments, share 1 Facebook post and click on 12 ads each month.
- 21.4% of all Facebook users are ages 45 and older. (But seniors are the fastest-growing Facebook age demographic.)
- 32.4% of all Facebook users are ages 25 to 34.
- More males (56.4%) than females (43.6%) are using Facebook. And male users ages 25 to 34 make up the biggest demographic of Facebook users.
- India has the most Facebook users in the world, with more than 310 million users.
- After India, the countries with the most users in the world are: the USA (190 million), Indonesia (140 million) and Brazil (130 million).
- Each month, more than 40% of Facebook’s users are in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Almost 80% of all Facebook users globally access the platform only via a mobile device.
- Over 1 billion users log into Instagram each month. (Specifically, there were over 854 million monthly users in 2020 and that number is projected to increase to over 988 million by 2023
- In 2020, users spent an average of 30 minutes a day on the app.
- 24% of users log in more than once per day.
- Over 500 million accounts use Instagram Stories each day.
- 51% of all Instagram users worldwide are female.
- One third of Instagram’s users are ages 25 to 34.
- Instagram is also popular among younger users. Instagram is the most-used social media platform among American teenagers.
- The USA has the most Instagram users in the world, with 140 million users as of October 2020.
- Following the USA, the countries with the most Instagram users in the world are: India (120 million), Brazil (95 million), Indonesia (78 million) and Russia (54 million.)
- As of February 2019, 37% of American Instagram users have some college education while 43% have attained a degree.
- By the end of September 2020, Twitter’s average number of monetizable daily active users reached 187 million.
- In November 2020, the number of monthly active users reached 353 million.
- 52% of American Twitter users log into the platform every day. And 96% of Twitter users in the USA log in at least once a month.
- Most users Tweet only twice each month: while the most prolific users tweet 138 times per month.
- 28.9% of Twitter users worldwide are between the ages of 24 and 34. And 57.1% of Twitter users worldwide are ages 25 to 49.
- Twitter is used more by males than females. 70% of Twitter’s advertising audience are male and 30% are female.
- The three countries with the highest percentage of female Twitter users are the Philippines (86%), Thailand (78%) and Indonesia (68%).
- 13% of American users keep their accounts private — and American women are more likely to keep their Twitter accounts private.
- Twitter is most popular in the USA, where it has 68.7 million users.
- Japan (51.9 million), India (18.9 million) and Brazil (16.65 million) have the most Twitter users following the USA.
- According to data from February 2019, 24% of Twitter users in the USA have completed some college. 56% have either completed some college or have a degree.
- And 31% of American Twitter users earned over $75,000 per year.
- There are 722 million LinkedIn members worldwide.
- LinkedIn is most popular among U.S. adults between 25 to 49 years old.
- 40 million people use LinkedIn each week to search for jobs — and 3 people are hired each minute.
- In the USA, 22% of LinkedIn members visit the site daily.
- 43% of users are female; 57% are male.
- 59.9% of all LinkedIn users worldwide are ages 25 to 34. The next biggest user base of this social platform is the 18 to 24 age group, making up 20.3%.
- This age distribution differs in the USA: 40% of American Internet users ages 46-55 had used the platform.
- The country with the largest LinkedIn audience is the USA.
- There are over 174 million LinkedIn members in the USA, more than 71 million members are in India, more than 52 million members in China and more than 46 million members in Brazil.
- As of January 2020, Iceland has the highest LinkedIn audience reach with a reach of 88%.
- 57% of LinkedIn users access the site using their mobile device.
- 51% of American LinkedIn members have a college degree and 49% earn over $75,000 a year.
Contact us @ 816-569-0135